Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hello from Penang!

I arrived in the evening, worked the taxi system and showed up at a corner home on a busy street. Actually the taxi driver missed it and reversed on this busy road; I was scared, so I didn't look. The home is a quant three bedroom home. All of the floors are tiled. I get my own room with a bathroom. And I have a shower! (Which I was hoping for).

The garden (yard) is beautiful with gorgeous flowering plants. There is also, a papaya tree. Across the street there is a soccer field, where there is a team that practices every afternoon.

Today, I went downtown with Auntie Aihowa. We ate at a local hawker (street vendor) and had Wan tan Mee. It was want tan soup, the best I have ever had. There was also a noodle dish with a few pieces of chicken.

For a snack we had ice kacang, a Malaysian dessert. It is a frozen dessert, like a snow cone with saigo (a palm fruit with food coloring), corn kernals,  red beans, all topped with chocolate ice cream. It was very colorful with red, and green. I forgot to take a picture, so I have an excuse to have it again.

For dinner, I met Auntie Keng Hong. We also ate at a local hawker called Western Food. I had the chicken chop, which was very similar to chicken fried steak. It had Asian ketchup dribbled on top of it. It is a very thin, tomato based. It also came with a few french fries and some garlic bread. For dessert, I ate a few pieces of Swiss dark chocolate that she brought from Europe.

Selamat Malam (good night in Malay)

No comments:

Post a Comment